5 Laundry Tips To Help You Conquer The Chaos
Do you stress over trying to keep the laundry caught up? Every time you turn around, are you always facing a big pile of laundry? I am right there with you!
Where does that mountain of the never-ending laundry come from? And just when you think you are done, caught up, and finished with the washing, you turn around, and there are two more loads to do!
By the time Saturday rolls around, you have 14 loads of laundry. And it takes you all weekend to tackle the pile.
I Like To Do My Own Laundry
I have always been in charge of the laundry–my decision. I never taught my children to do laundry because I am somewhat picky about what I want to be washed together and the clothing I prefer to hang up to dry. I have this fear of a “red” shirt being thrown into the washer with my white pants!!
I started doing my own laundry as a teenager when I lived at home, but I didn’t pass this skill on to my children. Do I regret it? Yes. I wish I would have taught them this skill earlier in their teenage years. But, no looking back now. Just press forward! 🙂
So..how do we stay caught up with the laundry to prevent us from that mountain of clothes that seems to build up in the corner of the room overnight? Well..we do a load of clothes every day. Yes, at least one load a day- sometimes two. If your teenage daughter cleans out her car–then you may have four loads!! 🙁
A Few Laundry Tips
Here are a few Laundry tips to help you conquer the chaos of the never-ending laundry pile. Hope these help!
Wash a Load Everyday
1. Wash a load of laundry every day. This is crucial. Wash, Dry, Fold, and Put away a load of laundry every day. It only takes minutes to put a load of clothes into the washer and the same to transfer them to the dryer or put them on hangers to dry. Once dry, immediately fold and put them away. It’s a lot easier to do this with each load then waiting until you have 5-6 loads washed and waiting on you. These are my favorite picks for my laundry. I LOVE for my clothes to smell fresh! My favorite laundry detergent and my scent booster.
Have a Laundry Schedule
2. Have a laundry schedule–I wash everyone’s clothes together. I do separate whites and darks. Remember my fear of a red shirt being mixed in with my white pants! I may do a small load of whites on Monday and darks on Tuesday, small loads on Wednesday such as sweaters or delicates, or those clothes that need to be washed by themselves for fear of fading.
I usually wash sheets and towels on Saturdays. This leaves four other days to rotate the laundry and get those everyday clothes washed. Doing small loads daily will make it easier to keep everything clean and put away, and small loads dry a lot faster than those heavy loads. Believe me–trying to dry a double load of towels at one time will take hours. Not that I have done this before. 😉
Use The Quick Wash Setting
3. Quick wash. Yes, there is a setting on most washers labeled quick wash. Instead of setting your washer to normal load, use the quick wash setting. Your clothes will be just as clean, and they will get washed in a shorter period.
Everyone Has To Put Away Their Own Laundry
4. Let everyone put away their own laundry. This is a BIG help! If your children are old enough, let them help by folding and putting away their own clothes. Even small children can put their socks and underwear away. You may need to help them hang their clothes in their closet.
Let Your Dryer Iron For You
5. Let your dryer do the ironing for you. I hate to iron. I really hate to iron. Set the signal on your dryer to let you know when it has completed the cycle. Then get right in there and get those clothes out of the dryer and put them away or hang them up. Usually, they will be wrinkle free, and you will be iron free. I know this doesn’t work with all fabrics, but for the most part, it’s nice not to have to pull out the ironing board and iron. Dryer Sheets are awesome for controlling static and also helping to make your clothes smell good! My favorite pick is this one. I also like this one as well.
These are just some tips that work for my family and me. Just take baby steps with your routine and figure out what works for you on a daily basis, and soon, you will be able to Conquer the Chaos of the never-ending laundry!!
**Update–My children can now operate the washing machine. Yay me!! They are in charge of their own clothes–NOT MINE! I still prefer to do my own laundry. 🙂
Grab your printable here.
I made you a cute printable for your laundry room. Just printout, frame, and hang.
Be sure to check out these tips to make Laundry Day easier. 9 Quick & Easy Hacks That’ll Make Laundry Day So Much Easier
Be sure to check out this post on Laundry Hacks. You will find some really good ideas to make doing laundry a little bit easier. 10 Borderline Genius Laundry Hacks All Adults Need in Their Life
This has absolutely nothing to do with laundry–but you deserve a treat! Try this so easy and so good dessert! You will be so glad you did!