Easy Stove Top Beef Stew
Easy Stove Top Beef Stew is seriously the best stew you could eat.
Tender beef is simmered for an hour with potatoes, carrots, and onions until it is fall-apart tender and literally just melts in your mouth. Comfort food at its best!
Beef Stew is Comfort Food in a Bowl
Pure comfort food in a bowl. So simple. Just brown the meat and onions, and then throw everything else in the pot and cook for about an hour. The flavors in the stew intensify the longer it cooks.
I love fall and winter time. These seasons are perfect for soups and stews. There are so many hearty and belly-warming soups and stews to cook, and this is the ideal time of the year to get all of them in.
This recipe is definitely one you need to keep in your recipe file! Perfectly flavored with stew meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and seasonings. It makes a big pot of pure comfort food!
How to Make Beef Stew
Easy Stove Top Beef Stew is also perfect for using up any vegetables you may have in your refrigerator or freezer. Just pull them out, chop them up, and throw them into the pot. To make this recipe even easier, I used frozen vegetables. Of course, you could use fresh, but frozen will work just as well.
Prepare the Stew Meat for Classic Beef Stew
To begin, you will need to toss your stew meat in seasoned flour, coating well. Add oil to your pot. Cook the beef, searing all sides. Add your onions as well and cook them with the stew meat.
Seasonings Needed for the Best Beef Stew
Next, add your seasonings; Moores Marinade, Lipton onion soup mix, and water. At this point, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all of the good bits of flavor left from searing the stew meat and onions. Believe me; there’s a lot of flavor in those little bits of goodness stuck to the bottom of the pan. 😉
Add the Vegetables to the Stew
Last, add the rest of your ingredients. I had a bag of baby carrots in my freezer, and instead of potatoes, I used natural cut potatoes. Again, I had these in my freezer. They were already washed and sliced! That was a win-win! 🙂 I did cut the larger potato slices in half but left the smaller slices whole. You want big chunks so they won’t disappear while cooking.
Let simmer for about an hour.
How to Thicken Beef Stew
If you like soup consistency–eat it as is, but if you like thicker stew-like consistency, make a cornstarch slurry.
How to make a Cornstarch Slurry
Mix together equal parts of cornstarch and water. Pour a little bit at a time into the stew to thicken or until you get your desired consistency.
We ate this for dinner and had plenty for leftovers the next day. It was just as delicious the second time around. While the stew is cooking, mix up a batch of biscuits or pop a skillet of cornbread in the oven.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Home at Cedar Springs Farm may earn a small commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn More.
Easy Stove Top Beef Stew
- 2 pounds stew beef
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup Moore's Original Marinade
- 1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed or 3 cups frozen, Natural Cut Potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots I used frozen baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss beef in flour mixture to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Cook the beef and onions until browned. You may want to cook the meat in several small batches.
- After the meat has browned, add the water, Moores Original Marinade, and Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Stir well. At this point, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all of the good bits of flavor left from searing the stew meat and onions.
- Add the rest of your ingredients--(except the cornstarch a 2 tablespoons of water)
- Let simmer for about an hour.
- Mix up your cornstarch slurry with the cornstarch and water. Slowly pour into the stew until desired consistency is reached. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Enjoy with biscuits or cornbread.