Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet is fluffy, tender, spicy, and golden brown. It comes together fast and is perfect as a side dish to soups and veggies. A savory cornbread with a slight kick in every bite.
Cornbread is a southern staple found on many tables in the south. It only requires simple ingredients to make and is baked in 30 minutes or less. Once you try this recipe, you’ll want to make it from scratch every time. The creamed corn gives it a touch of sweetness, and the jalapenos give it a slight bite of heat. Wonderful combination.
What Is Cornbread?
Cornbread is a type of bread typically made with cornmeal and without yeast. It is cooked in a cast iron skillet in the oven until golden brown.
Be sure to try my Cornbread Chili Recipe—dinner made in one skillet.
What Is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is dried ground corn easily found in the baking aisle at your local grocery store.
I personally like to use self-rising cornmeal. It makes a fluffier pan of cornbread.
Why Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is Fantastic
- It’s fast and easy.
- Fluffy cornbread is always a delicious side to soups, stews, and vegetables. I love to eat it right out of the oven with melted butter. Sometimes, keeping it simple is best.
- The jalapeno kicks it up just a slight notch. It’s not too spicy, just right.
- The creamed corn gives the cornbread just a hint of sweetness.
- Once you realize how simple it is to make homemade cornbread, you will make it from scratch with the simple ingredients from your pantry.
- In 30 minutes, you can have a pan of hot cornbread on your table.
Southern Cornbread Salad is a layered salad using cornbread that comes together easily for a family gathering or holiday table.
How To Cook Cornbread In A Cast- Iron Skillet
For complete instructions, see the recipe card below.
Prepare Cast Iron Skillet- The trick to getting a good crust on your cornbread is to have a super hot skillet. To begin, grease the bottom and sides of your skillet. Then, place your skillet into your oven as it preheats. This allows your skillet plenty of time to get hot.
Combine Ingredients- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Pour Batter into hot skillet- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the skillet. If you hear a sizzle when your batter hits the inside of the skillet, it’s hot and ready.
Bake- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve- Flip over onto a plate, cut, and serve.
Add-Ins for Cornbread
Cornbread is great on its own, but add-ins are undoubtedly welcome. Some of my favorites might be:
Bacon- cooked and crumbled
Ingredients Needed for Creamed Corn Cornbread
cornmeal- (self-rising) for fluffy cornbread.
buttermilk- if you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, make your own. See below for how to make buttermilk from scratch.
egg- used as a binder.
oil- just a little to help mix.
creamed corn- adds texture and slight sweetness.
jalapeno- adds a kick of heat and spice.
cheddar cheese- feel free to use your favorite shredded cheese if desired.
How to Make Buttermilk from Whole Milk
Sometimes I don’t have any buttermilk in the fridge when I need to make cornbread.
Making your own buttermilk is easy and only requires two simple ingredients- milk and vinegar.
Stir in 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to your whole milk. Let stand for 10 minutes. You are ready to make cornbread.
Most southerners use a cast iron skillet for baking their cornbread. But a baking dish will work if you don’t have a cast iron skillet. Be sure to grease the dish well before adding the batter.
Bowl, Measuring Cup, Spoon– Important items needed for mixing ingredients.
Serve this jalapeno cornbread with some fried cabbage and onions. Amazing!
*I have a cast iron skillet I only use for cornbread. Nothing else EVER gets cooked in this particular skillet. Why? Because if you cook other dishes in your cornbread skillet, your cornbread will stick the next time you bake it. True fact!
*If you don’t have buttermilk, regular milk will work, but buttermilk is better.
*Grease the bottom and sides of your skillet before preheating in the oven.
*Heat your cast iron skillet in the oven before adding your batter. Get it hot.
Other Dishes using Cornbread
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- 2 cups cornmeal self-rising
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup creamed corn
- 1 jalapeno diced, seeds removed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 10" cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet. Place skillet in the oven to heat while the oven preheats.
- In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the heated skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and flip cornbread onto a plate. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.