Slow Cooker Creamed Peas
Slow Cooker Creamed Peas comes together fast, it’s easy, and it’s the perfect holiday side dish. Creamed Peas are a hearty, classic side dish that’s comforting, delicious, and full of flavor. If you’ve never tried creamed peas before, you are in for a treat.
Serve these peas with your favorite side dishes: potatoes and onions, corn on the cob, and chicken and dressing.
What Are Creamed Peas
These slow cooker creamed peas are a simple side dish full of flavor. It starts with a roux; fresh milk and cream are added-basic but so good. Fresh (frozen) peas are covered in a rich, thick, and creamy white sauce and go perfectly over a bed of mashed potatoes. True comfort food. This has become a favorite side dish for my family, and it’s an easy side dish for anyone.
If you are used to eating canned peas, this is a step up to the next level.
Why This Recipe is Fantastic
- These peas are not mushy or soft. Instead, they keep their shape, pop in your mouth, and are super tasty.
- They are made in the slow cooker, which frees up your stove during the holidays.
- They keep their bright green color throughout the cooking process.
- They are made with simple ingredients.
- For a smaller family, this recipe can be cut in half.
- An easy and delicious side dish that even a picky eater is sure to like.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Creamed Peas
With just a few basic ingredients, these peas can be pulled together and in the crock pot in no time. You’ll have a perfect side dish that is great for any weeknight meal and worthy of making a holiday appearance.
This recipe makes a slow cooker full of delicious peas that will feed a hungry crowd. You can certainly cut the recipe in half for a family of 4.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
- Butter and Flour— These are used to make the roux. I used salted butter, but unsalted butter will be fine.
- Garlic (from a jar)– I like to use minced garlic from a jar.
- Milk– I used regular milk (whole milk).
- Heavy cream– You can use half and half or light cream if desired, but the heavy cream makes a nice thick sauce.
- Salt and Black Pepper— These are the only seasonings I used.
- Frozen Green Peas— I was making this dish for a larger family/crowd, so I used 8 cups of frozen peas. You can certainly cut this recipe in half.
- *Note: I have yet to try this recipe with skim milk or low fat milk, so I can not say how this will work. If you are using heavy cream, the outcome should be the same.
Easy Creamed Peas Recipe
Fancy yet straightforward and a great side dish for the holidays.
For complete step-by-step instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and garlic.
- Add milk and heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over peas in the slow cooker and stir.
- Turn the slow cooker on and let it go.
Where to Buy Peas
Frozen Peas can be found in your local grocery store freezer section. Fresh, tender peas are lovely for this dish if you plant a garden. Just shell and cook. You might find fresh peas at a farmer’s market or produce stands in some areas during the summer months. This recipe is a great way to use garden peas.
The seasonings are left up to your taste. I use salt and pepper, but you might add some onion powder, additional salt, or fresh herbs for additional flavor.
Tips and Variations for Making Cream Peas
- Since this is a fast, slow cooker recipe, I am usually at home to stir the peas every hour.
- If the cream sauce is thicker than I like, I add a splash of milk as it cooks.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the peas before serving.
- Add a few pearl onions to the crock pot with the peas.
- Add some crispy bacon or diced ham as a wonderful addition, and turn this side dish into a main dish.
Main Dishes To Serve with Creamed Peas
Hamburger Steak and Creamed Potatoes
More Simple Sides in the Slow Cooker
These simple sides are prepared in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Collard Greens— Slow Cooker Collard Greens is a delicious side dish full of ham flavor and pot likker. This fuss-free classic southern side dish goes perfectly with hot cornbread and a glass of sweet tea.
Purple Hull Peas are about as southern as a glass of sweet iced tea. This easy Slow Cooker Purple Hull Peas recipe is versatile, flavored with ham, and is sure to be a crowd-pleasing dish. The easiest way to prepare a southern delicacy.
Crock Pot Creamed Corn is a simple side dish for any night of the week or special occasion when you need to feed a crowd. Whole kernel corn, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, sugar, salt, and pepper tossed in a crockpot and turned on. In a few hours, your corn is steaming hot and ready to eat.
More Holiday Favorites
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Home at Cedar Springs Farm may earn a small commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn More.
Slow Cooker Creamed Peas
- 8 tablespoons butter 1 stick
- 8 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic from a jar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 8 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup whole milk (optional) to thin as needed
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and garlic into the butter until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and heavy cream, stirring continuously, until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes—season with salt and pepper. You can thin sauce with more milk if desired.
- Pour mixture over peas in the crockpot and stir until peas are completely coated. Cover and cook.
- Cook on low for 3 1/2 – 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Serve and Enjoy!
What a hearty side dish that fills you up with being completely delicious! Thank you for this recipe!
These peas make such a delicious side dish to accompany any meal. We loved creamed spinach but this is a new must make! Thanks for sharing!
Wow! I’ll definitely have to try this. My father in law used to talk about putting his peas in warm milk and I thought that was so odd. However, this recipe looks amazing!
It turned out really delicious, was very easy to make and simple to understand too.
This is so good. Never imagined making this Creamed Peas recipe. Easy and something unique too. Perfect for a side dish.
I made these peas with dinner last night and they were delicious! My whole family loved them!
Looks delicious love peas cannot wait to make this!! Thanks for sharing!
This looks like such a delicious and cozy side dish! Never had it before and can’t wait to try it!
I’m always looking for new side dishes, and these creamed peas were the perfect addition to our dinner last night. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Oooh, that creamy texture looks amazing. Definitely the perfect holiday side. I love how easily the peas come together in the slow cooker.
The peas came out so delicious plus it’s a nice way to keep them warm on the slow cooker during dinner parties. Thanks for the recipe!
I usually make creamed corn but I decided to give creamed peas a chance and I’m glad I did! These were so good!