Creamy Mushroom Rice
Easy Creamy Mushroom Rice is a one-pot dish that takes rice to a whole new level. It’s the perfect side dish for just about everything-chicken, beef, fish, and pork.
You will only need some basic ingredients to have an amazing side dish- mushrooms, butter, rice, cream of mushroom soup, and chicken broth. That’s it! No more boring rice ever again.
Why Should I Make This Recipe?
Easy: Super simple recipe that takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. I’m all about keeping side dishes simple- not boring- just simple.
Pantry Items: Except for the butter and fresh mushroom (you can use canned mushrooms), all items can be found in a stocked pantry.
Comfort Food: Savory and creamy rice rates right up there as comfort food to soothe the soul.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Cream of Mushroom Rice?
Butter: Everything is better with a little butter. Right?
Mushroom: I like to use fresh mushrooms for this recipe (if I have them) in the refrigerator. If not, the canned mushrooms will work in a pinch.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup: Yes, so much flavor in a can. This adds creaminess to the rice and makes it delicious.
Chicken Broth: I like to use chicken broth instead of water whenever I cook rice. It just adds the right amount of flavor.
Instant Rice: I always have instant rice on hand in my pantry. It’s super fast and can be used in so many recipes to help make dinner easier.
How to Make this Recipe
Saute mushrooms in butter until soft—about 5 minutes.
Add soup and broth to the mushrooms.
Heat the soup and broth in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Stir in the rice. Cover and remove from heat.
Let stand for 5 minutes—fluff with a fork. Add salt and pepper as desired.
What Makes this Mushroom Rice so Flavorful?
To take this rice to a whole new level, you will need to substitute the water and use soup and broth. The cream of mushroom soup and the chicken broth adds tons of flavor. In addition, the sauteed mushrooms kick it up to make one flavorful dish you will want to add to your monthly rotation.
What to Serve with Creamy Mushroom Rice
Mushroom rice is such an amazing and versatile side dish. You could serve just about anything with it, and it would be amazing. Some of my favorites are Sticky Chicken, fried pork chops, Classic Meatloaf, and Blackened Salmon.
Saucepan with lid: Yep, this dish only takes one pan. That’s always a win-win—one pan to wash after dinner.
Expert Tips and Variations
- I like to use fresh mushrooms for this dish. If you don’t have any in the refrigerator, use a can of sliced mushrooms.
- Instant rice makes this dish fast and easy.
- If you don’t have Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, you can most definitely swap it out with cream of chicken or cream of celery soup.
- Fluff rice with a fork before serving and give a good stir to ensure the mushrooms are evenly mixed.
- Feel free to swap out the chicken broth with beef broth, vegetable broth, or water if so desired.
How to Store Leftover Creamy Mushroom Rice
Got leftovers? Any leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Perfect for another night or great to grab for your lunchbox.
To reheat: Place into the microwave for about a minute or two and enjoy again.
More Easy Rice Dishes:
Creamy Mushroom Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced, fresh or canned
- 1 14 oz. can Chicken Broth
- 1 10.75 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 cups Instant White Rice uncooked
- Saute mushrooms in butter until soft. About 5 minutes. Add soup and broth to the mushrooms.
- Heat the soup and broth in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add salt and pepper as desired.